Friday 7 June 2013

A New Start : The Fast Diet

Yes peeps. I have finally quit Weight Watchers. I was planning to move to the 'online only' membership, but I decided to pack it all in. Not to just get fat, but to try another approach. They have had enough money off me.

A few weeks ago, Blog Mate asked if I had heard of the 5:2 diet. I said no. Then the boyfriend asked me as well, I said no again. But then I got curious… I did a little bit of research on Dr Michael Mosley (the guy who has brought this to the forefront most recently)… and watched his Horizon TV show where he first discussed the diet… then researched online… then bought his book… And then after having a weird dream where he was working in my local Morrisons serving salami at the cigarette counter (which had dog food in it!) I decided that I should probably just give it a go.

So since Saturday, I have been on the 5:2 diet. The basic premise is that you don't count calories. You eat 'normally' (we will come back to this later) and fast for two non-consecutive days. But on those fast days, you do actually eat — 500 calories of high-protein, low-GI food, and lots of water, herbal tea or black coffee, etc.

This seemed way more achievable than counting points for the rest of my life. IF it works, that is. I have decided to fast on Tuesdays and Thursdays (as I tend to be busy on those days and it is suggested to keep yourself occupied on a fast day) and so far it seems to be good. But then I am only one week in! 

Eating 500 calories really is OK. I felt a little lightheaded, but apparently that goes once your body gets used to it. I was surprised at how easy it was — getting through a fast day is a hell of a lot easier when you know you can eat what you want the next day, rather than waiting until the the weekend, or when you get your new weeklies, or when you have finally got thin, you tubby cow… 

I like to split my 500 calories into two meals. I have my first meal when I get hungry, and I find that is around 1.30/2pm. Which is good really, because I worry that if I ate first thing in the morning, I would just be craving food until dinner, and I really couldn't handle that. And then my next meal I eat in the evening when the hunger does ramp up a bit. But I think that's more out of habit than actual hunger. 

I haven't bought the cookbook, as I figured I can probably rustle up stuff myself from looking online — people have so many recipes out there. You can actually get two very decent meals for 500 calories! I was really surprised. On my first day I had a one-egg mushroom omelette with leafy salad for lunch, and for dinner I had a spicy turkey stir fry that I turned into a soup. Today I have the soup again for dinner, and a whole can of tuna with salad for lunch. It looks exactly the same as what I normally have for lunch, which is really fucking good. I think I can do this…

Before I headed to Leeds a few weeks ago, I managed to lose 3lbs, but ended up putting two of them back on over the weekend. When I weighed myself to start this diet on Saturday I was 11st 12lbs, but after one fast day I was down to 11st 10lbs. Now a lot will be water and the first week 'kick start' that happens with any new diet, but I am happy with that. Also, I got a 'how you doin'?" and a 'hi there' from a nice young man in Morrisons yesterday, so gym clothes plus fast diet already appear to be working for me :-)

Let's see what Saturday brings! Actually, I might move my weigh day to Monday morning as myfitnesspal (which is a bloody godsend!) starts its weeks on Mondays, and I am more likely to write a post on Monday too. So back here Monday for results! 








No comments:

Post a Comment